Do you love writing, content creation, and storytelling? Are you passionate about, and experienced in, covering health innovation, technology, and entrepreneurial topics? Are you looking for a role at a mission-driven organization, focused on collaborating with entrepreneurs who are working to achieve Health Moonshots? If you answered YES to these questions, we want to meet you!
StartUp Health is hiring a staff writer to be a pivotal member of StartUp Health’s growing global media platform, publishing content nearly everyday. This is a unique opportunity for your work and your impact to be professionally and personally rewarding, contributing greatly to our mission to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone in the world. This new role reports to our Media Director and is a remote work opportunity (candidates do not need to be based in NYC).
- Lead writer of all blog content, approximately 4 posts per week (http://healthtransformer.co). The posts will range from news blurbs to founder stories to short features. Writer will work with Media and Coaching teams to identify the companies and Health Transformers to feature. Blog follower count exceeds 65,000.
- Prepare the weekly StartUp Health Insider Newsletter, including leads, subject line options, and compiling of content shared by team members including events and funding insights. Current newsletter reach is 35,000 stakeholders.
- Pitch story ideas and contribute content for the StartUp Health Magazine working closely with editor-in-chief. Responsible for editing a portion of the Magazine, participating in editorial meetings and working with freelancers, as needed.
- Key member in regular editorial meetings to help set editorial agenda for media team
- Work regularly with social media writer, also contributing/reviewing/editing posts
- Collaborate on ad-hoc editorial requests
- Represent StartUp Health at industry events, when/where appropriate
Our Ideal Candidate
- 4+ years journalism experience with strong interest in health innovation, technology and entrepreneurship. Feature writing experience a plus.
- An active writer and powerful storyteller adept at creating articles and blog posts that motivate and inspire action from readers
- Maintains a strong voice and vision tapped into what’s new in health innovation and developments of StartUp Health portfolio companies
- Receptive to having work edited by peers; enthusiastically receives and acts on feedback
- Knowledge of content marketing strategies and tools including digital and social media (e.g. SEO, content partnerships, etc.)
- Entrepreneurial-minded and comfortable in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Adept at working remotely and thrives in a results only working environment (ROWE)
- Advanced knowledge of cloud-based platforms including Slack, Google for Business, Dropbox
About StartUp Health
In 2011, StartUp Health introduced a new model for transforming health by investing in a global army of coachable entrepreneurs who are committed to achieving health moonshots. With the world’s largest digital health portfolio (245+ companies spanning six continents, 20 countries, and 70+ cities), StartUp Health is mobilizing this rapidly growing army along with the world’s ‘batteries included’ leaders, innovators, and investors to achieve 10 Health Moonshots, with a 25-year mission to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone in the world. Founded by Steven Krein and Unity Stoakes, StartUp Health is chaired by former Time Warner CEO Jerry Levin. Notable strategic partners and investors include Allianz, Aurora Health Care, Bayer, California Health Care Foundation, Steve Case, Mark Cuban, Esther Dyson, Brad Feld, Genentech, GE Ventures, GuideWell, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, Masimo, Ping An, SAP, and SeventySix Capital.
Mindset of a StartUp Health Team Member:
- Long-Term Commitment - you are “all in” and committed long-term to our mission
- Supportive Relationships - you are continually surrounded by like-minded team members
- Quarterly & Weekly Rhythm - you recalibrate every 90 days and start each week with a sense of purpose
- Confidently Ambitious - you always convey confidence regardless of the obstacles
- Self-Aware - you are coachable, aware of your unique abilities, and leverage the unique abilities of colleagues
- Healthy Habits - you take care of yourself, have a clear mind and body, and regularly practice gratitude
- Value Creator - you are continually making your future bigger than your past
- Batteries Included - you always provide energy to others and have no tolerance for those who drain energy